5.26.2004

Check out Candy Sue's "An Exhaltation of Larks" post: http://wrycandy.blogspot.com/. And go to this page so you can see her cute red-skirted butt playing bass in her band called Pantsburg. You'll have to scroll and look for her.

I met candy in NOLA @ Loyola in an art class. We quickly became friends because 1) we were the best artists in the class (she was #1; I was the second) and 2) we both have a wacked-out sense of humor, and when we're together we really stir it up. Just mix together equal parts plaster + water + MJ + CS and you'll see. Your life will never be the same again. Candy made this awesome plaster family for that class. (She created an interesting set of figurines and grouped them together. We learned that when you put things in groups, the mind wants classify and perceive these things in pre-determined social categories.) I threw a bag of lawn seed on my old trampoline in my back yard, watered it, and brought it in, and people just stared. An eerie quiet filled the room when I displayed my final project: a plaster of paris figure in the shape of a chicken, wrapped in plastic and coated with red water, all suspended from the ceiling with twine. The other people made portraits and door stoppers.

Oh yeah, back to the virtues of candy -- she used to (and probably still does) take pictures with her I-Zone camera just for fun. One day she and our friend Jeffery T. Pedersen came over to my house one day, took lots of pictures with the I-Zone camera and somebody made up this crazy story. I was dressed in a Tina Tuner gold sequined dress and Jeff was an Irish Catholic priest dressed in black robes with a cross suspended from his neck. Somehow we got a skit out of that and put it into Candy's recorder (that's how Candy is; she just pulls a gadget out of nowhere and instantly you're in business). Jeff kept saying something about a "little potato." In fact, he did have a potato in his hand.

Candy was single-handedly responsible for reviving ReVisions, Loyola's student literary publication. A lot of aweswome student work went into that publication, including my own poems "Early Motherhood" & "Wishing For Trinity" and Candy's poem that won the Dawson-Galliard (sp?) award. She used to hang that award in her bathroom in her loft apartment on Natchez Street!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home